Thursday, August 4, 2011

Zucchini Pancakes

Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that my favorite breakfast food is PANCAKES! I mean who hates pancakes???? I always try new ways to spice up my favorite breakfast food and this recipe came out just awesome :) I absolutely love zuccihini and I had an abundance of it in my fridge the other day. Therefore, I thought why not make a zuccihini pancake! I absolutely LOVE zucchini bread so the thought of a pancake that mimiced it made me extremely delighted!  


First I added the following ingredients in a large bowl:


3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup flax meal
2tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Dash of cloves
Dash of ginger
1/4 cup brown sugar
DRY  



Next I added the wet ingredients in a separate bowl: (pictured below) 

3/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
1/3 cup skim milk
1 tbsp apple sauce
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups of shredded zucchini 

Next I mixed the dry ingredients with the wet. The mixture will be a little thicker than your traditional pancake mixture!



While I was preparing the batter I preheated a pan on the stove for about 3 minutes, just to warm it up. Next I scooped about 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan. Use the back of the measuring cup to smooth out the pancake batter in the pan.  When the pancake batter starts to bubble on one side than it is time to flip the pancake!!!



Looks delicious! While the pancakes were cooking I took some nonfat Greek yogurt (Chobani is my favorite) and placed it in a small bowl with some honey and cinnamon. I mixed them together and was delighted to have a sauce to place on top of my pancakes! If you aren't a fan of a yogurt sauce than maple syrup works perfectly :)



I cooked the pancake for about three minutes on the other side and plated them! My entire kitchen smelled so good. My friend Stephanie came over about a half hour after I made them and she said that my apartment smelled fantastic! Double win for me! 


I topped my pancake with the yogurt sauce and was ready to chow down!





Absolutely delicious! One of my best pancake creations to date. Tasted just like zucchini bread! Stephanie suggested next time that I add shredded carrot also since they are similar taste profiles. Challenge accepted! 



 I had a lot of left overs which I love because it provided me with breakfast for the rest of the week! It is always nice to be able to have pancakes at work in the morning, its like a little treat :) 



I love experimenting with different tastes in the kitchen. Cooking is supposed to be fun and exciting. Don't ever be afraid to just try something new. I can't tell you how many successes (and complete failures) I have had while trying to experiment in the kitchen. One time I was trying to make a low fat chocolate cupcake and it turned out like a chocolate dinner roll...sounds good...totally wasn't


Well enjoy your day all :)



No comments:

Post a Comment