Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sweet Potato Muffins

Sweet Potato Dark Chocolate Chip Coconut Muffins

I had a lot of sweet potatoes in my house! When I say a lot I mean probably like 8! I have never had sweet potatoes in baked goods. Normally when I cook them on my own its with Rosemary, Salt, Pepper, Garlic, etc, mostly savory. Therefore, I wanted to try something different. I love the website FANNETASTIC FOOD and the creator Anne, has a lot of sweet potato recipes. Therefore, I took one of her recipes and changed it up a bit.

Problem was I had NO sweet potato puree and every recipe calls for the canned version. Therefore, I decided to create my own sweet potato puree. I took about four sweet potatoes and sliced them and threw them into the oven. They baked for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. You want them really soft!




















Once the potatoes are finished (left) I placed them with the skin on in my food processor (right.)
I added a tbsp of light pancake syrup to the puree to give the sweet potatoes some extra sweetness and to loosen it up from the sides. Looks delicious!  



Next I mixed all the dry ingredients in a bowl.

1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 ground golden flax meal
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda  




Next I mixed the wet ingredients in a bowl:
1 cup pureed sweet potato
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup coconut
2 eggs

After combining the dry with the wet ingredients I scooped about a 1/3 cup of the mixture into muffin tins. I topped them with oats for a little flare



Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until you can stick a fork in them and no residue comes out.






I placed the sweet potato muffins with my apple bake in dishes, one for the dinner I was going to and the other work the ladies at work :)


Close up!  



No comments:

Post a Comment