Friday, August 20, 2010

Advanced Kickboxing

Today I started off the morning with a GREAT advanced kickboxing class. Just in case you are new to my blog, I take kickboxing classes at LA Boxing in Old Town and in Arlington. I read about LA Boxing online one day at work and decided to check it out. I took kickboxing my senior year of college and loved it. Honestly, nothing is better than being able to punch something after a bad day :)

Anyway, LA Boxing classes are some of the best workouts I have ever had! I have had many gym memberships before, Golds Gym, Sport and Health Club, etc and yet I would always end up not going as much as I would like. I would go for about two months, then take off two months, etc. I have almost been at LA Boxing for a year and have not missed one month the whole time! The classes are a lot of fun and anything but monotonous.

On Fridays at 7am one of the trainers, Jerome, does an advanced kickboxing class. Let me tell you he kicks my ass! This morning we started out with a 1/2 hour of lifting, mostly upper body, then 1/2 hour of bag work. This is the upper body work out we had to do:

Exercise 1: Grab two dumbells (the size depends on your strength) lay on your back with your knees up. Now hold the weights directly out in front of you while you are laying down. Now the object is to force yourself to stand up without moving the weights what-so-ever. Once you are in the standing position, go back down and repeat the exercise. The trick is to rock when you lay back to giving your body momentum to shoot back up! Do 3 reps 1 minute each.

Rest: Lay on your back and do chest presses with the weights as fast as you can for 30 seconds.

Exercise 2: Balance on your butt, lifting your legs off the floor. Tap the weights in front of your body for 30 seconds, then beyond your knees for 30 seconds. 3 reps at 1 minute each.

Rest: Still balancing do chest presses again as fast as you can for 30 seconds.

Exercise 3: Hold the weights directly above your head. Now do alternating lunges without dropping the weights. 3 reps at 1 minute each

Rest: Hold the weight out in front of your body for 30 seconds.

Exercise 4: Go into a lunge position brining your knee all the way to the floor. Now put the weights out in front of you and come half way up from the ground and then go back down as fast as you can without hurting your knees. 3 reps one minute each on each leg.

Rest: Chest presses as fast as you can standing up.

Exercise 5: Go into squat position. Try and keep your feet pointed forward, but if they curve out to the side its ok. Now can into as deep of a squat as you can then stand back up keeping the weights out in front of you. 3 reps one minute

Rest: Chest presses standing up as fast as you can

Exercise 6: Go back into a deep squat and start doing curls with the weights. Make sure to keep your elbows tight to your body, but not to let them rest on you. 3 reps one minute each

Rest: Hold the weight out in front of you for 30 seconds

Exercise 7: Slightly bend your knees and bring the weights up to your chin. Now act like you are throwing the weights in front of you, this will work your triceps. 3 reps one minute

Rest: Hold the weight out in front of you for 30 seconds.


Quiet a work out right?? And that was only the first 1/2 hour! Needless to say I was dripping sweat, but it was an amazing work out and I feel great. I usually have problems with my knees during kickboxing, but today they didn't bother me at all. I think it might have to do with the Yin Yoga class I took last night! I feel fantastic this morning.

Well I am going to go and enjoy my delicious breakfast of oatmeal, almonds, bananas, and cinnamon!



Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment