Friday, August 12, 2011

Exploring a little piece of Raleigh

 Today was a great day! I am moving down to Raleigh in October and wanted to get out and explore the city a bit more. My tour guide for the day was Nick! First we stopped at this small hot dog place called The Roast Grill. It is a tiny restaurant in Raleigh that has been around since 1940 serving up great hot dogs in a TINY place. I got a dog with the works-chili, onions, yellow mustard, and slaw. What is in the slaw?? I have no idea but it was DELICIOUS!  



Nick wanted an action shot of him eating the hot dog. He got two with just chili (plain Jane)



Told you this place was tiny! The bar seated maybe 10 people and there are two tables against the wall that seat two people each. Nick was telling me that they are only open from 11-2 and that you have to get there early or there is a line out the door. We went around noon and it was pretty packed, but died down a little as we ate!


The restaurant only has chili, slaw, yellow mustard, and chili as toppings. However, it was one of the best hot dogs I have ever had! I haven't ate a hot dog in about 3 years and this one was totally worth the wait!


The sign out front! Looks like a little shack. You would never notice it if you weren't a local. The cool thing is that Man VS Food was at The Roast Grill recently participating in a hot dog challenge.  Apparently Adam ate 17 but the record is 21!! Who eats 21 hot dogs???


Next we headed over to Seaboard station to check out all of the local shops. I love small specialty shops and Nick knew I would like this area.  We went to a huge gardening store (which name has seemed to escape both Nick and I) and look what I found!!!


BASIL!!!!



Anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely LOVE basil. I try to put it in every thing I cook. I also love rosemary!


LOOK MORE BASIL. I wanted to buy all of them.



After going to Seaboard Station we visited Father and Sons Antiques! It was this never ending thrift store that was three levels. It was so cool! We found some really interesting stuff. I couldn't believe they sold furniture.


Of course records. They had a whole room on the third floor that was full of various records.



Nick found this really awesome 1980s ski suit. Reminded me of the movie Hot Tub Time Machine. Nick was almost tempted to buy it but couldn't justify spending $40 on it. I think he would have looked hot skiing down the slopes in that get up.



The lighting sucks on the next photo but I thought it was hysterical!



Nick sporting a truckers hat with a hot pink fanny pack. God how I miss the fanny pack!



I thought it was interesting that people actually sold their old photographs to the store. I am a photograph hoarder so I couldn't imagine doing it. However, there were piles of them everywhere.



I loved this couch! I also find it funny how this retro style is coming back to the modern age! I've seen sets like this at Crate and Barrel, IKEA, West Elm, etc.



This was the view from the window on the third floor (art gallery)



This was one of the art rooms. The pictures were dark but pretty interesting.



This was the small bathroom on the third floor. Nick was trying to be funny :)



Shopping sure worked up an appetite! It was the perfect weather today, not too hot or humid at all and a slight breeze. You know what that means?? Perfect ice cream weather!!



We went to Kilwins which is a confection shop that makes their own ice cream. Nick said the second I walked into the store my mouth would water and boy was he right! I mean look at the fudge!


and the caramel apples!!!



But what I came for was ice cream! I got a scoop of cappuccino chip ice cream in a waffle cone. This also gave me an idea to try to do a cappuccino chip muffin!!!! We will see!



After all of the fun of the day we came back and relaxed for a bit. We kept contemplating on what to do for dinner. A few weeks ago Nick and I were watching Diners Drive-ins and Dives and they went to an Italian restaurant in Boston. Well the Chef served up lobster ravioli and it looked so good!  Therefore we decided to create our own. By create I mean go to Whole Foods and buy some Crab and Lobster ravioli with a rose cream sauce!  What?? It would have taken WAYY too long to try and create pasta by hand!



Look at me stir! Such hard work!



Dinner was finished! I made a cherry tomato and mozzarella salad to go with the ravioli. Its super simple just take some cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil and mix in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper!




Dinner photos courtesy of Nick!


Look how yummy!!



We paired the food with a slice of Rosemary Olive Oil bread. I was so stuffed after dinner I thought I was going to fall over! It has been such a great day and I am excited to see what the weekend will bring. Farmers market tomorrow morning for sure though!!! Can't wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment