Monday, August 15, 2011

Saturday Rainstorms and Farmer's Market

On Saturday Nick and I decided to explore the farmer's market! In Raleigh they have a State Farmer's Market which is open every day of the week! Despite the clear sky in the picture it was down pouring right before we got there. We got absolutely soaked, but luckily the entire farmers market is under a long pavilion. The pavilion was probably about a quarter mile long filled with local vendors selling produce, baked goods, home made soaps, everything. 




I took this picture right after the storm. It was like it never happened.



Look at the size of these tomatoes




I even found purple peppers. I've never had one before but the farmer said they are sweet just like red peppers. Must buy next time.



They had lots of plants and flowers. They even sold blueberry bushes, peach trees, etc. Look at the tree they sold below!



My favorite place was Archer Lodge Herb Farm!!! I bought a HUGE basil plant and a smaller Lime Basil plant. Have you ever heard of lime basil?? I hadn't, but I am so glad I was introduced to it. It smells amazing and the farmer said it is great in salsas, with fish, and drinks



I loved this plant. Thought it was beautiful



Flowers from the garden


I even picked up a diet cheerwine. Nick said it was a staple of Raleigh so I HAD to try it. It was delicious!



I picked up some oatmeal and muesli.  I am going to be able to make great overnight oats with both of them! I also picked up a Roasted Pecan Syrup that I want to create a new muffin with!!!



These are my beautiful basil plants! The larger one is Genovese Basil and the smaller is the  Lime Basil.



We came back and had lunch. My dad made pulled pork that was absolutely to die for! It was so tender and tasted delicious. I ate a half of sandwich on a slice of rosemary olive oil bread from Whole Foods. I made a tomato and cucumber salad with Italian dressing and my fresh basil!



The next morning I made another sandwich using the ingredients from the farmers market. I took the rosemary olive oil bread and toasted it with a tomato, provolone, and basil on top.


I topped it with a slice of bacon



and then with an egg! It was a great sandwich



Sunday breakfast with the family :)



Well all, hope you had a great weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment