Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Welcome Back!

Hello Everyone! It has been a long time! Life has been beyond hectic the last few months, but don't worry I am coming back with a vengence. Last night I was invited to a friends dinner party. I offered to bring dessert! I have been contemplating trying to make an healthy verison of apple pie lately. It's one of my favorite pies, but it is pretty labor intensive. Therefore, I came up with this recipe instead. It still takes some time to do it, but the effort is worth it!

Apple Pie Bake! 


First I started off by cutting up some apples and removing the core. I left the skins on because they have extra nutrients and vitamins in them. Plus you won't be able to taste the skin because of how thinly the apples will be sliced. If you are slicing the apples by hand I would remove the skins.  After coring the apples I placed them in my electric mandolin that my mother got my for Christmas like two years ago! I completely forgot I had it, but NEW TOY!

 

I used phyllo dough in this recipe (forgot to take a picture of it!) Phyllo dough is really thin sheets of dough and bakes to a flaky consistency. Normally when working with phyllo dough you have to layer it with lots and lots of butter. This is to make sure it bakes to the flaky consistency you want and to add flavor. Instead of butter I used PAM cooking spray. I took a thin sheet of phyllo dough, placed it in the pan, then sprayed PAM until the dough was wet. I repeated this step 4 times and made sure to spray each layer with the PAM.




Next, I took the thinly sliced apples and layered them on top of the four slices of phyllo dough (pictured above.) I put about two layers of apples because it was they were so thin. However, if you slice them by hand only do one layer.



















Next, I took:

1/2 c oats
1/2 c JR's Cinnamon Chips (pictured to the left)
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c walnuts
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg

and mixed them in a small bowl. Then I took half the mixture and layered it on top of the apple (pictured right.)

I repeated the process until I had no room left in the pan. I topped the dish with its final four sheets of phyllo dough and topped the dish with a dash of cinnamon.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Top the apple pie bake with aluminum foil to keep the top from burning. Bake 30 minutes covered.


Take the foil off and bake for an additional 20 minutes.


VOILA!



Once the apple pie bake has cooled, carefully remove it from the pan. I used a cookie sheet and a piece of aluminum foil and flipped the apple pie bake out of the pan (pictured below.)


I had to try a piece so I cut it open and tried a quick bite...sooooo good :)







DELICIOUS AND NUTRITIOUS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment