Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pizza Dough Galore!

Today was my day off (GO ME!) and on my days off I love to cook. I work most of the weekend and 9-7 shifts Monday-Thursday next week so I always try to cook extra when I have days off. Its a nice way to have left overs through out the week and that way I don't end up wasting money (and calories) on food around my work.  I had a lot of free time today so I decided to try a new pizza dough recipe. Usually I do a whole wheat pizza dough using whole wheat pastry flour (recipe and pictures below) but today I wanted to try something new! 

I decided to try and do a multigrain pizza crust! I used:

2 1/2 cups warm water (you don't want it too hot or it won't activate the yeast properly)
1/2 yeast packer
1 tbsp sugar

Combine these ingredients in a large bowl. Stir them together until the yeast dissolves. Let stand for five minutes. 

Next I added (one cup at a time, mixing after each one):

1 cup oat flour 
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup ground flax meal

and kneeding until dough was properly formed. Then I let the dough stand for a few hours.

I had left over turkey sausage from a few nights ago so I decided to use it in my pizza. First I sauteed some spinach, garlic, and mushrooms in a large pan. Use lots of spinach because it tends to wilt.

Before 


After


Then I sliced the turkey sausage really thin and added it to the pizza with my homemade sauce and the spinach mixture



I bought some Tuscan style goat cheese from the grocery store the other day and thought it would work perfectly with this pizza. I crumbled it and placed it on top of the toppings.


Then I added some 2% mozzarella, parmigiana-reggiano cheese, and some fresh basil and oregano!



Baked it in my oven at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes and then it was finished :)


You know I love the close-up!



I cut a HUGE slice for dinner. Mostly because I don't have a pizza cutter and just used a knife and I wanted lots of pizza!


Absolutely cheesy and delicious



Today is your lucky day! You get two pizza dough recipes for the price of one! Below is my whole wheat pizza dough recipe. Following the same principles as before except use solely whole wheat pastry dough.

So pretty and ready to rise!


Back in the bowl to sit for a few hours


Always throw a towel or plastic wrap over the dough...keeps the top from drying out


Hand crafted right into the pan (realized that I do not own a rolling pin!)


Let the dough rise again while I get the toppings ready



This pizza is super easy. Just a basic tomato sauce pizza with ricotta, mozzarella, and provolone cheese!


Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 20 minutes! Looks a hell of a lot better than some delivery pizzas I have gotten!


Close up time!



Always a big slice



And I am a happy camper! I love pizza and REFUSE to ever give it up, therefore I try and create ways to make it a little healthier. You should never have to give up your favorite foods when trying to eat healthier. Just watch your portions and find ways to make it a bit healthier!

Well I am a stuffed girl who must finish her laundry...Have a great night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment