Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back in Virginia/Sushi with Stephanie!

Well last night I made it back to Good Old Virginia. Not that there is anything wrong with VA, but I must admit this past weeks vacation with my sister, brother-in-law, and my nieces sure had me missing New York.

One of the problems I have with traveling is that I tend to go out to restaurants more and cook a lot less. My train left Penn Station at 6:20pm and I didn't have a chance to grab a bite to eat at my sisters so I stopped at my favorite sandwich shop in Penn Station.

Every time I take the train out of Penn Station I stop at Zaros and pick up a Turkey Sandwich. This is not any normal turkey sandwich, this is the mother of all turkey sandwiches.

This turkey sandwich consisted of baked turkey, arugula, brie, thin slices of granny smith apples, and a honey mustard dressing. Needless to say it is absolutely delicious. Brie is one of my favorite cheese and I love how it tastes with crisp granny smith apples!

Always need something crunchy with a sandwich!

I got into Virginia at 9:45 and got back to my apartment around 10. I did some unpacking and headed to bed. After work I met my friend Stephanie for some sushi and cocktails at a restaurant in Old Town called Red Curry. The funny thing is I used to HATE fish and the thought of sushi made me want to vomit. However, a few weeks ago I finally got the courage to actually try it and LOVED it.

We started off the evening with some Vietnamese Vegetable Rolls. These rolls were fantastic! They had carrots, tofu, lemon grass, etc. They are really low in calories and super packed with nutrients from all of the different vegetables. They were paired with a hoisin dipping sauce that was to die for.

Stephanie and I decided to be a little adventurous and order three different kinds of sushi. I have only tried Spicy Tuna before and Stephanie had only tried Eel. Therefore, we got one roll of Eel with Asparagus, Crunchy Spicy Tuna, and Salmon with Avocado roll.



All of the food was delicious! I never thought I would try eel and it was actually my favorite of the three, kind of tasted like chicken! Sushi is very healthy for you as long as you stay away from tempura style food. Sushi is usually made with leaner types of fish and has vegetables (lots of vitamin) and rice (complex carbohydrate.) If the idea of raw fish creeps you out then there are some new sushi restaurants that are offering cooked sushi. I went to Whole Food a few week ago and they offered either raw or cooked sushi rolls and even the option of brown or white rice. How great is that????

Well it has been an exciting day. I can't believe I start taking my prerequisite courses on Monday! AHHH! So nervous! Off to bed I go!




No comments:

Post a Comment