Saturday, March 12, 2011

Vegetable Quiche To Go

So I am super busy during the week but especially on the weekends. Fridays-Sundays I walk into Jenny Craig and have clients back to back all morning. Therefore, it is extremely hard for me to be able to eat a decent breakfast.

I usually do breakfast bars for the week, but once again due to Drs orders I have to try and find another low carb/high protein alternative. I found this recipe again from the South Beach Diet book and just decided to add some spices and a couple extra veggies.



The recipe calls for egg beaters, however, I am sure you can use regular eggs (how many?? Not sure yet, but next time I am going to try with regular eggs)


The recipe called for reduced fat cheddar cheese (didn't have any in the house) so I used 2 % mozzarella cheese and decided to add fresh basil to the recipe (I am a basil junkie).


Basically the recipe says to take 3/4 cups egg beaters, 3/4 reduced fat cheese, frozen spinach (I used fresh), onions, and peppers and mix them into a bowl. To the recipe I added diced tomatoes, basil, 1 tbsp ground flax, and some seasonings (Rosemary, Oregano, Salt, and Pepper). The recipe says that it will make 12 regular quiches, however, I doubled the recipe and only got 12 mini quiches. Therefore, I believe you will only get 6 if you use the original recipe (unless I did something wrong, which I can't figure out if I did, what I did wrong).

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl


Then I took 1/4 cup of the mixture and put it in each muffin tin. Once again only got 12 muffins with double the recipe.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake!


The recipe called for baking them for 20 minutes, which I did. However, they still seemed a little under done. I kept them that way because I plan on reheating them tomorrow and don't want them to dry out. If you are not going to reheat them I would suggest putting them in for around 25 minutes.


I let the muffins cool for 5 minutes and placed them on top of some Canadian bacon for me to have for breakfast tomorrow! Truth is I bought the Canadian bacon to put in the muffins and completely forgot to put them in the damn recipe!


All done! I added some extra cracked black pepper and threw them in the fridge for tomorrow! All done in about a half hour and now I have a nutritional low carb breakfast for the morning.


Nutritional Info:

Serving Size: 1 muffin
Calories: 48
Fat: 2.1g
Carbs:1.2g
Protein: 5.6g


No comments:

Post a Comment