Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Quick Turkey Meat Sauce

On Monday I was EXHAUSTED to say the least. By 4pm I literally thought my eyes were going to burn out of my skull. I came home around 4:30pm and just vegged out on the couch for about an hour and a half. Around 6 I decided I needed to get off the couch and cook something for dinner. I wanted to make something quick but filling and I came up with this recipe.

I absolutely love pasta and meat sauce. Its super filling and I was in the mood for some nice comfort food! Therefore, I took some onion and diced them up and threw them into a sauce pot with a little olive oil.


Next I threw a Jenny-O all natural white meat turkey burger. They don't need to be thawed so I can take it from the freezer and throw it right into a pan.


While the turkey burger was browning on its side I diced up some vegetable to add volume to my sauce. I diced up some orange and yellow bell peppers, garlic, and some fresh spinach.


One the turkey burger was half way cooked I took a wooden spoon and broke it up into chunks.


Next I added the vegetables and let them cook for about 5 minutes with the turkey meat. I love having my vegetables still to have a little crunch to them. If you don't let them cook for about 10 minutes so everything wilts down.


Next I threw in some canned spaghetti sauce. I added some extra Italian Seasoning and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes.


Put the lid on the pot if you can. It will allow the sauce to simmer a bit faster!


While the sauce is simmering I cooked up some whole wheat pasta.


Once the sauce is finished, take the lid off and put the heat on low until the pasta is finished cooking.


Soooo delicious!


Now all you need to do is add your sauce on top of the pasta and sprinkle on a little bit of Parmesan cheese!




Delicious and super healthy.


You want some don't you?



I took the left over sauce and threw it in some tupperware. On Tuesday I wanted a really quick dinner again because I had to go swimming at 5pm until class at 6:30. I didn't want to have a lot of carbs so my friend Stephanie gave me the idea to use zucchini instead of pasta! WHAT A GREAT IDEA! Just take some zucchini and use a vegetable peeler to make really thin slices.


Add some salt and pepper to the zucchini.


Then throw the sauce right on top and sprinkle with the Parmesan Cheese.



I threw it in tupperware, put the lid on and was out the door in five minutes.


It was absolutely delicious!!!!! I didn't have a chance to heat it up before class so ate the food at room temperature and it was amazing and there was soooo much food! I was so full afterwards! A great spin on a traditional dish, thanks Steph :)

No comments:

Post a Comment