Saturday, March 12, 2011

Turkey Southwestern Salad

This recipe is a super quick high protein lunch! First you need a turkey burger, I use Jennie-O All Natural Turkey Burgers.

I sauteed it in a pan with some mushrooms.


While the burger was cooking I put together the salad. First I took organic spinach, green bell peppers, red onions, and diced tomatoes and threw them into a tupperware container. Then, instead of using dressing I packed a small container of salsa. Salsa provides just as much flavor as dressing without the added fat/calories and is chuck full of vegetables!


To add a little more substance and protein to the salad I added some black beans. Black beans are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber, as are most other legumes. In addition to lowering cholesterol, black beans' high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making these beans an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia. When combined with whole grains such as brown rice, black beans provide virtually fat-free high quality protein. You may already be familiar with beans' fiber and protein, but this is far from all black beans have to offer.


When the turkey burger was finished I let it cool before adding it to my salad (didn't want it to cook the spinach or peppers).


Once it was finished cooling I sliced the turkey burger and threw it on top of the salad. I added a little avocado for flavor and because its delicious!

A huge protein packed salad ready for lunch tomorrow!


For a snack with my lunch I put some all natural peanut butter, cinnamon, and a little bit of dried fruit .


Tahhh dah! I added a greek yogurt and the muffins for breakfast I made the other day! A great healthy lunch for my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment