Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fiesta Time!

Tonight I was in the mood for something different! So I decided I wanted a burrito. Now burritos get a bad rep but they can actually be extremely nutritious if done right, however, places like Moe's Southwestern Grill, Baja Fresh, and Chipotle, take it to the extreme by creating burritos that are literally the size of my head. It is really all about the toppings when it comes to a burrito. Start with a lean meat, add beans (black beans are best), lots of vegetables, pico de gallo, and avocado (or even guacamole), and easy on the cheese.

Or you can make your own at home! I made burritos with my very own corn pico de gallo. First start off by boiling some water (for the corn and brown rice) and heating up a pan (for the chicken!)

Then take some tomatoes. I used vine tomatoes and dice them up. I am a horrible dicer so all of mine come out large but if you can make them into small chunks.

Dice up a jalapeño. Remember that the heat comes from the seeds so if you want it mild just omit the seeds. Want it spicy? Through the whole thing in there!

Now just add some salt and pepper. If you have cilantro feel free to add some, however I am not a big fan so I omit it!

Now when the water is at a boil, throw in the corn and brown rice. You can cook them together and neither will harm the other. Plus saves you from having to do extra dishes.

Now I love these flat breads. They are called Flat Out and their are high in fiber and protein and very low in calories for a wrap. I use them to make pizzas too!

Add a little avocado. Avocado is a good fat, however, in moderation that is. Don't splurge too much because it does contain a lot of saturated fat.

Once the corn is done add it to the pico de gallo

Then put all your toppings to the side. I did about 1/8 cup reduced fat Mexican shredded cheese, avocado, romaine lettuce, black beans, orange peppers, and brown rice. When the chicken is finished cooking thinly slice it!

Add all of the fillings onto the burrito and then top it off with the corn pico de gallo. I filled mine so much I am surprised I was able to actually roll it!



Then roll the wrap and cut it in half! Looks delicious!

Then I add a nice hunk of watermelon as my side. It compliments the dish along with helps cool down the heat from the jalapeño.

The awesome part about this dish is having leftovers. Just toss all your leftovers into a bowl, add some more lettuce, and BOOM southwestern salad for lunch.





Remember that cooking is easy, fun, and cost effective! Plus you can control the portions not some kid behind a glass divider!

No comments:

Post a Comment